04 March 2021

Magic, Magic, Magic

Earlier today, the barista stopped me before I ordered and said "Don't take this the wrong way, but I was watching a documentary about a cult and you look like you belong to it. Hold on, let me show you." Then she proceeded to scroll her phone's images to display a shot of a  group of African men in orange jumpers, much like the thermal garment I wore. We then had a good laugh, mine altered, hers seemingly genuine. It's not the first time these young women have said something about the meat face and aura I project. Previously, I'd been informed that, from among the patronage, the group of early and mid-20s caffeine dealers (all white, many Christian) had decided that I was the one most likely to be/become a serial killer. It's nice to be seen, by anyone, much less a troop of attractive, young and unattainable folk even if it is not in the kindest light.


Speaking of the cafe, I took it on myself to visit for a prolonged stay, the first time since COVID numbers in the valley took a significant leap back in October of last year. The place is every bit as mysterious, as casually strange as it has been with only the sporadic mask sighting, a kind of looking glass back into pre-COVID days when people had the sheer temerity to gather indoors in large numbers of souls not in their circle in order to breathe on each other. A woman passed so close I could smell her perfume, and I had the insight that it was a divine thing, the smelling of people not your own and likely, I imagine at least for myself, to go away for the most part on a large scale just because COVID. Speaking of, numbers are down, statewide, from their obscene peaks around solstice-tide and so I sit in this magical spaceship cabin with my fellow passengers - to be awed by their separateness. If only there were some way to reach them, to communicate an experience, yet not one is reading a book. A bizarre let down from the species.


At work lately, students have been returning in fits and starts - subject to the whims of a fanatical bureaucracy and the order by fiat mentality of all the most oppressing machines. That I'm a tool of institutional racism is a fact that never fails to present itself. The Department of Labor needs civilized, meek, conflict-resolutionized, and anger-managed facile drones for the work force. At work the mechanism seeks to take the Native out of the Native; the sufficiently un-white, un-western must be whitened and westernized, else they will be unable to get and maintain a job "outside of the village". This and sentiments like these ring from the dorm mezzanines and the classroom walls, the institutional hallways and in the communal dining hall. My role in the beast is finely tuned, one for which a body must have the thinnest veneer of empathy to execute, and must be an organism attuned to the jazz sax wailings of a student's potential employment in Q4 lest the company performance rating take a hit, and one where a person must bow to the bottom line of and apparent student success, but who must also must carry around with them the family mysteries of hundreds of individuals, all piping similar melodies of the cruelties that brought them to us. What a world.


The equinox is trending and it shows - water in the streets, slush in the gutter, the scrubby cottonwoods on the walk downtown birthing just beginning to green nodes of leaves, vast labile moods from despair to euphoria. I haven't written anything coherent in months, almost a year. I've tried to corner ideas, snare them, but all of the things I write sound banal, corrupt, greedy, and, worst of all, repetitive. Topics abound that I wish to broach but the words look like idiots on the page, myself the idiot king puppeteer. A sentence appears yet one does not follow. The thought of submitting a story to a magazine sits obscenely gesturing at passersby. The prospect that graduate debt was a waste in both time and energy, at least in terms of creative ability and proliferation, looms.


  Ah, time for the bar and pint rim paredolia after some prolonged absence.

No comments: