02 January 2010

The Old Old Story


I come from the deep red.

Full disclosure: I'm drinking gin and tonic and watching The Apostle.

I was also thinking about this post that my brother did over at First Draft and all the comments there. I think that Jude nails it with his analysis of evangelicals and their shtick, but the comments on how evangelicals are evil and how they want the destruction of America or some shit is just as bad as labeling all Muslims as evil and how they want to destroy America with their terrorism or jihad or what-the-fuck-ever.

I grew up with this shit. I stood in the Church and sang the hymns. I went down to the altar and professed my sins. I was baptized. I (at one time) believed, and yet, I found that the dogma of the church was lacking, but these people haven't come to the same conclusion. This is their life. They worship, they believe, they love this country, they want the Kingdom of God.They aren't evil, they think that Jesus is coming and we will soon be lifted above and called to glory, and that if America doesn't toe the evangelical line, we will be like Sodom and Gomorrah and destroyed by fire and brimstone from above. They aren't evil, they're deluded.

Thich Nhat Hanh teaches that we should not be attached to anything and that God is here with us, in this moment. We just have to pay attention to It. These people have just lost sight of this simple fact.

The Psalms say, "Be still and know that I am God."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll drink to that.