13 December 2008

Book Review


The Woman in the Dunes, Kobo Abe


The Sea, John Banville


The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

A while back I wrote about how I wanted to read a new book by an author unknown to me classified alphabetically by last name, i.e., start with the A's go to the Z's. Well, I have gotten through the first three letters of the alphabet and I decided it was time for a progress report.

To start, I read The Woman in the Dunes. It ruled. I kind of had the feeling that I lost a lot in the translation from Japanese to English, but it ruled anyway. I identified more with the actual woman in the dunes than with the dude who found her but I'll leave it up to you to read it. Just google the shit and buy it already.

Then, I read The Sea. It ruled more than The Woman in the Dunes by several levels of magnitude. John Banville rules. He has a way with the language that makes you want to be him. I have the feeling that he is the reason that some people want to become writers, just so you can own as much as he does. I will say that the ending does not satisfy, but he writes such a dense landscape that you can forgive him. He almost makes you feel like you are there, the way a great writer does, especially if you have spent any time at the shore, contemplating the infinitude of the waves.

Last up is Chbosky's work, The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I made it through about 30 pages of this dogshit. First up, he writes the book in a "compendium of letters to some other person" format. I forgave him that shit. Then, the protagonist, a 15 year old boy, spends all his time crying and being emo and shit, even though he kicks some bully's ass. I looked the other way on that one too. Then, the straw: he writes to his "friend" that although he is 15 he has just discovered what masturbation is and decides to describe it to his "pen pal".

Fucking Total Shit. I could deal with the crying and the letter format, but this is completely fucking stupid. There is no male (I'm totally generalizing from my own experience here) who does not know what the fuck masturbation is all about by the time that he is 15 fucking years old. Bull-Motherfucking-Shit. Stephen Chbosky is a motherfucking idiot who writes "coming of age" novels for teen girls. Avoid this fucking idiot like the plague because he has no idea how to convey the absolute terror that being an adolescent male entails. He is a fucking shill. Fuck him, the fucking loser.

So, in sum, read some books and shit, make your own opinions because mine certainly suck.

No comments: